Twine Resources Redux Redux
Interactive Fiction Crafting Resources
• Twinery (where Twines come from)
• Twine Cheat Sheet (HIVE-made for your convenience)
• Twine v2 Syntax Overview (more in-depth mechanics)
Welcome to the HIVE!
You, new recruit/graduating 8th grader/temporary Stories Seldom Told student, have joined the HIVE. But what, you ask between Hot Pocket bites, is the HIVE?
It is not a hive mind, but we do collaborate. It stands for the Home for Innovation and Video Ecology, but we do more than video games. It is the newest SAY Sí studio, but we have veteran instructors and students here.
First some housekeeping:
- New students, make a Trello account (if you don't have one) and join HIVE MAIN BORD. The link automatically invites you to the correct board.
- Everyone old and new please update your HIVE Profile and Contact Bits.
Here are things to strive for to stay alive in the HIVE:
- We are the NEW MEDIA studio. That means multimedia, transmedia, and interactive media. Start thinking about ways to mix and match different kinds of art and technology and think about how audiences interact with them.
- Don’t be afraid of COMPUTERS. You will learn new software, you will learn to code, but we will get you there slowly and you will, we promise, like it! Log into the HIVE account with the passwords located on teal hexagon stickers throughout the lab.
- Be ready to COLLABORATE. We often do group projects here, and the HIVE is a tightly-knit place. Be excited to create incredible things you couldn’t otherwise do by yourself.
- Be ORGANIZED. Be ready to learn Trello (task management site) and SourceTree (code management). Save your files in the right place. Make backups. Set tasks and follow deadlines. These are skills that will help you get any kind of art done!
- Your instructors are the COOLEST. Stevan draws, makes comics, programs, is a Photoshop wizard, and will yell at you about society. Rick writes plays, writes and designs games, is a great presenter, and will make you learn kungfu. Ned is an elusive guru and you should soak up his wisdom when you can.
- NO MESSY WORK in the HIVE. Go to Flex I or II if you need to make any kind of drippy grody dusty scrappy mess, and make sure to clean up after yourself.
- CHEAT SHEETS for different tools (Photoshop, Sketchup, LUA, PICO8, etc.) are located in folders by Stevan's station.
- Change BATTERIES on your keyboard and mouse if they dip under 7% respectively (they will complain they're running out around 15% but will work fine for a while longer). Batteries live on the cart by the back entrance.
- SCRAP PAPER is available on the shelf by the back entrance.
- Don’t pet the DOG (seriously, it’s a service dog, don't pet service dogs).
- Keep FOOD AND DRINK away from your computers.
- The HAND is named Bernard. Ask us about ADA (the portrait).
HIVE fun! I mean have fun. HAVE fun.